One Year Later


We've been at this for a year now. I think everyone can remember where they were when the world shut down for Covid. Eglin got its first positive case on my birthday last year. We were supposed to go out to dinner that night...little did I know that I'd still be waiting on that 2020 birthday dinner come 2021. I know that this year has been difficult in a different way for everyone. For every family. For my family this year was tied to a hospital and a military community. Every decision that we've made, every positive case, every death. Everything that Matt and the kids and I have known about has been through the up-close lens of hands-on work. Seven days a week, 24 hours a day. 

Since day one Matt has sent out an email message to the Medical Group at Eglin. To the active-duty members, the civilians, the contractors, to me, to everyone. It started as "The Covid Response, Day 1". At first the emails were very data-driven. Somewhere around day 98 the title of them changed to "Covid Update" without a numbered day. For our anniversary in May, I printed out all of the emails and gave them to Matt as a gift. I thought he'd like to look back at that time and remember the hard work that all of the Medics had done. It makes me laugh to think that what I gave him as almost three months worth of emails in a folder, will be the start of an entire book by the time he leaves this job. And then finally, sometime in the fall he started calling them the "Heroes Message". The daily Heroes Messages became more of a way to give thanks and to motivate. 

This is the Heroes Message that Matt sent out today. One year later...


MDG Heroes,

 

Tomorrow will mark 365 days of continuous COVID operations at the 96 MDG. On 4 March 2020 many of us were working late and responding to the first COVID-19 case involving a member of Team Eglin. My wife brought me dinner and my daughter included a letter (below) with my spaghetti. I look at the letter every single day … and now I want to write the same thing to each of you. First, I’m “sorry you had to work late” at Eglin, at Bagram, at MSAB, at Al Udeid, at 35,000 feet above the Black Sea, at austere locations in rural Africa, at emergency rooms in El Paso, and at hospitals in North Dakota. Your life-saving efforts have been heroic. “I hope you had a good day” every single day, I hope you “don’t worry,” and I hope you look back at the last year with an intense sense of pride.  More than anything I hope you “keep helping people and fighting COVID,” and know that your leadership team will “support you no matter what.” Finally, I’m “so, so, so” proud of you. “Be safe.”

 

Please congratulate our quarterly and annual Nursing Service Award winners!

 

4th Quarter –

AMN – SrA Maria Urquilla-Castillo

NCO – SSgt Jourdan Clark

SNCO – MSgt Manuel Molina

CIV LPN – Ms. Carissa McCormick

CGO – Lt Kathleen Alejandro

FGO – Maj Mark Alderman

CIV RN – Mr. Pete Seals

APN – Maj Nicole Delhomme

 

Annual –

AMN – SrA Andre Alexander

NCO – TSgt Michael Marshburn

SNCO – MSgt Manuel Molina

CIV LPN – Ms. Kristin Duffey

CGO – Lt Karen DeClerck

FGO – Maj Alisha Acosta

CIV RN – Ms. Karen Bollinger

APN – Maj Nicole Delhomme

 


Kudos to Capt Wendover from a patient: “My husband and I were born into Air Force families, our fathers had long careers and retired. We moved many times and utilized dozens of AF, Navy, and Army clinics/hospitals. In all this time, there have been very few medical providers who have proven to be as dedicated and concerned about our welfare as Capt Steven Wendover. He is a true credit to his profession. His "bedside manner'' is remarkable and his ability to explain your medical predicament and the effects of various medications in simple, understandable terms is fantastic. He has consistently gone above and beyond the call of duty as it relates to our health and well-being. Please pass on our sincere appreciation for his superb professionalism and empathy.” Thank you for your service to our patients!

 

Take care,

 

Col Matt (with inspiration from Ms. Vivian) Hanson

 

MATTHEW P. HANSON, MD

Colonel, USAF, MC, FS

Commander, 96th Medical Group

Eglin AFB, Florida

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida Farewell