The Last Day

 

Thursday, 29 April 2021
The Last Day 

Yesterday was Henry's last day of 4 years of high school. Three different schools in four short years. A private school in Colorado, a public school in Alabama and a charter, dual enrollment school in Florida. And yet, he's still smiling. 

I mess up every day as a mom. Every. Single. Day. 

I am by no means an expert. I've been at this for almost 21 years now, and I still feel like I'm on a wing and a prayer. 

But, I'm teachable and thank goodness Henry's a good teacher. If I had to make a highlight reel of what he's taught me these four years this is what it would be...
  • Don't get caught up on the hamster wheel of honors, advanced, AP, IB, classes. Let your kid take classes that they are confident they can excel at. Don't listen to the teacher, counselor, friend, other parent, recruiter who tells you there's only one way to academic success. It's going to look different for everyone.  
  • Protect their emotional and mental health just like you protect their physical health.
  • Let them quit. Let them quit the job, the class, the sport once the cons outweigh the pros. Mental health above all else.
  • Talk, but more important, listen. Sit in it with them and just listen. Don't try to fix, don't talk about how the same thing happened to you once. Simply listen. 
  • Let them fail. Lead, walk beside, or follow when needed, but let them fail and then be ready to be a soft landing place when they need it.
Hen, I take your patience and your grace with me every day. I’m not sure if right now you know your full potential, but you sure do know your worth. I can’t wait to see where you take the next four years. I love you, bud. 

Mom 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida Farewell