15 Years Ago Tonight...

The night before Viv's birthday Matt and I were remembering what we were doing at that time 15 years ago...

We went out to to eat by ourselves while my mom and dad watched the boys. Southwestern egg rolls from Chili's were calling my name and since I was going to be induced the next morning, they seemed like the right answer to a "last supper". I was 8 days past my due date (just like the other two) and was so ready to be done, although no one tells you that the real work starts after you're "done". After dinner we went home to settle the boys in and go over the next days plan with my parents again. Matt and I were supposed to be at the hospital at 6:00am for induction, so we would have to leave about 5:15. We told the boys goodnight and that we'd call them the next evening whenever after their sister made her appearance. 

Their sister had a different plan. Around midnight I woke up feeling off, went to the bathroom and decided that those southwestern egg rolls were in fact, not the right answer. I went back to bed to try to sleep it off but couldn't get comfortable and had to go back to the bathroom. You would've thought that by kid 3 I would know what labor was like, but I hadn't gone into labor on my own with the other two, so this was all new territory. By about 2:00am I figured this had to be it so I woke Matt up and by the looks and sounds of me, he knew we were hospital bound. 

By the time we got to the hospital and up to labor and delivery I was sure it wouldn't be long. A nurse came in and said "go ahead and change and get into bed, but if you aren't in 'real' labor we're going to get you up and maybe send you home". I actually laughed at her and said, "I can guarantee you I'm not going anywhere". By 6:00am I was fully dilated and without a doctor in sight, my nurse told me, "DO NOT PUSH. DO NOT EVEN BREATH, THIS BABY IS COMING NOW". The floor had two emergency c-sections, so we were the least of their worries, but I remember looking at Matt and without a word to each other, we got ready to have this baby on our own. Thankfully though we didn't have to though! Seconds later we heard "Dr. Jones! Dr. Jones!" (totally Indiana Jones style) as the doc came running into the room just in time to catch our girl. 

You don't know "love at first sight" 
until you hold your newborn daughter 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Florida Farewell